Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) contain small amounts of mercury. A small percentage of this mercury can be released into the air if the bulbs are broken. … Mercury can cause poisoning in some circumstances. Even so, people are encouraged to replace their “old fashioned” incandescent bulbs with CFLs.
What should you do if you break a light bulb?
Wipe up the broken glass and powder, seal them in a container and dispose of them. Check with your local government about disposal requirements. Some communities require that trashed fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center.
How dangerous is a broken mercury light bulb?
If you break a mercury thermometer or light bulb, a small amount of liquid mercury may spill out. Liquid mercury can separate into small beads, which can roll some distance away. The mercury may also evaporate into vapour. However, this small amount of mercury is extremely unlikely to cause problems for your health.
Is a broken CFL bulb dangerous?
Is it harmful to be in the room where a CFL bulb has broken? The amount of mercury vapor that is released from one broken CFL bulb is not enough to make anyone sick. However, to avoid any exposure to mercury, we recommend that you leave the room for at least 15 minutes before cleaning up the broken bulb.
What is busted bulb?
A busted light bulb definition, A busted light bulb meaning | English Cobuild. … vintage light on police car, i.e. a single dome with rotating lights inside. Thus nicknamed because of it’s resemblance with bubblegum machines. Syn.
How much mercury is in a light bulb?
An average of 4 milligrams (mg) of mercury is in a CFL. A mercury thermometer may contain about 500 mg of mercury. About 500 mg to 700 mg or less of mercury is considered a small spill. Some CFLs may contain as little as 1.4 mg to 2.5 mg per light bulb.
What happens if you breathe in mercury vapor?
The inhalation of mercury vapour can produce harmful effects on the nervous, digestive and immune systems, lungs and kidneys, and may be fatal. The inorganic salts of mercury are corrosive to the skin, eyes and gastrointestinal tract, and may induce kidney toxicity if ingested.
What do you do if a mercury light bulb breaks?
Remove children and pets from the room, and then clean up the broken bulb as quickly as possible. First, increase the ventilation in the room where the bulb broke by opening windows and doors. Then use index cards or other stiff paper to pick up the broken pieces of glass and any visible mercury.
Does mercury vapor go away?
Liquid mercury vaporizes (evaporates) at room temperature causing elevated levels of mercury in indoor air. Mercury vapor is not irritating and has no odor, so people do not know when they are breathing it.
Do all light bulbs have mercury?
Mercury, an essential part of CFLs, allows a bulb to be an efficient light source. On average, CFLs contain about four milligrams of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. By comparison, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury – an amount equal to the mercury in over 100 CFLs.
What happens if you break a fluorescent light tube?
When broken, mercury vapors may be released into the air. The mercury released from broken bulb is mostly in vapor form. If properly cleaned up, broken bulbs or CFLs do not pose a serious health risk. … The Environmental Health and Safety Department may be contacted for consultation and assistance.